Sunday, May 6, 2018

rainbow unicorn cake with fondant unicorn horn


Last year for my daughter's birthday, she requested a unicorn cake. (She always requests unicorns!) So I had made her this one, with a buttercream rosette mane and a handmade fondant golden unicorn horn. 

Well, this year she asked for the same thing! But pink. And with a rainbow mane. So I obliged!


As usual, she wanted a vanilla cake with strawberries and whipped cream, so I baked up my favorite vanilla cake (recipe in my book!) in two 8-inch round cake pans, cooled them, and then sliced them in half horizontally to give me four cake layers. Then I filled each layer with freshly whipped cream, and fresh sliced strawberries.


Next I covered the whole thing with pink cream cheese buttercream frosting (recipe also in my book!) - first with a quick crumb coat, then 30 minutes in the fridge, and then a final coat of frosting, which I smoothed out with a long metal spatula. Then I let the cake chill in the fridge overnight.


The next morning, I was ready to decorate the cake. I used black frosting in a disposable pastry bag, fitted with a small round tip, to pipe the eyes on the front of the cake. 


Then I tinted my "rainbow" colors with Americolor gel-based food coloring, and used a large tip to pipe the buttercream rosette mane. I only had enough frosting left for three colors, so I divided the remaining frosting and chose blue and green to go with the pink cake.



The final touches were the handmade fondant unicorn horn (you can see how I made it in this post) and the white fondant ears. Although, in hindsight I should have made the ears pink. Doh!


The last color would be white, for a few "pops" of small rosettes.



At least the white rosettes kind of match the white ears?




Anyway, she loved the final cake. Even though blue and green don't actually equal rainbow. But whatever, close enough!


For her birthday party, we just invited a few of her closest friends for a small party, and we had movies and pizza and video games. And cookie decorating. And unicorn cake, of course!






Happy 8th Birthday, Miss Melodie!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment